Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Importance of Researching Every Item


Ok maybe not every single item but it's good to research everything you aren't totally sure of.  I bought a box of random mixed nick-knacks at an auction this past weekend because it had a few Fenton figurines in it.  I found these cats in the bottom of the box and on first glance I just assumed they were cheap trinkets.  The kind of thing I'd throw $1 on and put in one of my vending spots.  They are really heavy though and they were marked Dept 56.  I've sold Dept 56 holiday houses a few times but had never seen these solid metal cats before.  After a few minutes of poking around online I learned that these are from a line called Classical Cats by Martin Leman that came out in the 80's.  Each is hand painted and they are made of solid pewter.  At this time there are two from this line listed on eBay.  One is listed at $35 and one at $40.  Glad I didn't go with my first impulse of throwing $1 tag on them.  Now they are headed for eBay!




9/18/2104 Edit to add that I sold the blue kitty for $29.75 shipped the day after I list the cats. 

1 comment: